Best Replacement Windows 2023 | Ultimate Guide to Top Brands, Reviews & More
UPDATED November 10, 2023
Choosing the best replacement windows for your home can be a daunting task.
With so many window brands, styles, and materials to choose from, it can feel totally overwhelming. But if you’re committed to making an informed decision that will provide lasting value and energy efficiency for many, many years to come – you are in the right place.
We put together the hands-down most comprehensive guide to replacement windows on the interwebs.
If there’s something specific you are looking for, I’ve created a handy-dandy Table of Contents right below. Just click or tap to expand and then use it to jump to whatever section grabs your fancy.
Just getting started and not sure where to begin?
Just dive right in. We’ve got everything you need to know, ask, or consider when it comes to replacing your windows all neatly arranged right here in this Ultimate Guide.
Table of Contents
- Factors to Consider When Replacing Your Windows
- Top Window Brands
- Window Materials
- Window Styles and Designs
- Energy Efficiency and Performance
- Cost of Replacement Windows
- Warranty on Your New Windows
- Top Window Recommendations by Budget
- Top 12 Best Replacement Window Brands
- Top 8 Replacement Windows by Model and Series
- Find A Replacement Window Company Near Me
- FAQs for Window Replacement
Factors to Consider When Replacing Your Windows
- Style and Design
- Energy Efficiency
When it’s time to replace your windows, there are several factors to consider in order to make the best decision for your home. By carefully evaluating the brand, material, style and design, energy efficiency, cost, installation, and warranty, you can ensure that your new windows will not only enhance your home’s appearance but also provide long-lasting performance and value.
Fill out the form to compare prices and estimates from local window companies.
Top Window Brands
We will dive deeper into all of these brands (plus 7 more) a little later. But for now, just note that these companies top nearly everyone’s list because they are known for their high-quality products, extensive warranties, and exceptional customer support.
Window materials matter because they significantly impact a window’s durability, energy efficiency, maintenance requirements, and overall appearance, all of which contribute to the long-term value and comfort of your home. Common window material options:
Vinyl windows are affordable, low-maintenance, and energy-efficient, making them a popular choice for homeowners. They resist moisture and do not require painting or staining, but their color options may be limited.
Wood windows offer a classic, timeless look and excellent insulation. However, they require regular maintenance, such as painting or staining, to prevent warping and rotting.
Fiberglass windows are strong, durable, and energy-efficient, with low thermal expansion rates. They can be painted and mimic the look of wood but are more expensive than vinyl or aluminum options.
Aluminum windows are lightweight, durable, and low-maintenance but have lower energy efficiency due to their high thermal conductivity. They are often used in commercial buildings and modern home designs.
Composite windows are made from a blend of materials, such as wood and plastic, offering the benefits of both. They provide excellent insulation and durability with minimal maintenance but can be more expensive than other options.
Window Styles and Designs
Replacement windows come in various styles, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Here are the most popular types of windows:
- Double-Hung Windows
- Casement Windows
- Sliding Windows
- Awning Windows
- Bay and bow
- Picture Windows
Double hung windows feature two sashes that slide vertically, allowing you to open the window from the top or bottom. This design provides excellent ventilation and is easy to clean.
Single-hung windows feature two sashes, one fixed and one vertically sliding. The bottom sash is movable, allowing for ventilation, while the top sash remains stationary.
Casement windows are hinged on one side and open outward (often by using a crank handle). They provide excellent ventilation and unobstructed views but may not be suitable for spaces near walkways or patios.
Sliding windows have one or more panels that slide horizontally in tracks, offering easy operation and wide views. They are great for spaces where an outward-opening window would be impractical.
Awning windows are hinged at the top and open outward, providing ventilation while keeping out rain. They work well in hard-to-reach areas like above kitchen sinks or in bathrooms.
Bay and Bow
Bay and bow windows are protruding window styles that create a wider view and add extra interior space. Bay windows typically have three panels, with a large central picture window flanked by two smaller windows, usually double-hung or casement. Bow windows, on the other hand, consist of four or more equally sized windows that form a gentle curve. Both window styles add architectural interest to a home’s exterior and create cozy nooks inside, perfect for a window seat or a display area.
Picture windows are large, fixed-pane windows that do not open, providing unobstructed views and ample natural light. They are often combined with other window styles for added ventilation.
Energy Efficiency and Performance
Energy-efficient windows can help reduce your heating and cooling costs while improving your home’s comfort. Here are some factors to consider:
- Double or triple-pane glass
- Low-E glass coatings
- Argon or krypton gas fill
- Warm-edge spacer technology
Understanding ENERGY STAR Ratings
Look for windows with the ENERGY STAR label, which meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
ENERGY STAR ratings are designed to help consumers easily identify energy-efficient products. Windows that have earned the ENERGY STAR label have been independently tested and certified to meet strict performance criteria established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These windows are designed to reduce heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer, helping you save on energy bills while maintaining a comfortable indoor temperature. By choosing ENERGY STAR rated windows, you’re investing in a product that is not only environmentally friendly but also helps you save money in the long run.
Double or Triple-Pane Glass
Double or triple-pane glass windows feature two or three layers of glass separated by gas-filled spaces, significantly reducing heat transfer and increasing energy efficiency when compared to single-pane windows.
Low-E Glass Coatings
Low-emissivity (Low-E) glass has a thin metallic coating that reflects heat while allowing light to pass through, improving energy efficiency and reducing fading of furnishings.
Argon or Krypton Gas Fill
Argon or krypton gas-filled windows have insulating gas between the glass panes, reducing heat transfer and improving energy efficiency.
Warm-Edge Spacer Technology
Warm-edge spacer technology employs insulating spacers between the glass panes in a window, minimizing heat transfer and condensation, leading to improved energy efficiency and reduced heating and cooling costs.
Cost of Replacement Windows
The cost of replacement windows can vary greatly depending on the brand, material, style, and features you choose. It’s essential to consider your budget when selecting the best replacement windows for your home. However, keep in mind that investing in high-quality, energy-efficient windows can provide long-term savings on your energy bills and increase your home’s value.
To help you compare the costs of various window brands and materials, we’ve created the following table:
|Window Brand||Material||Average Cost (per window, installed)|
|Andersen||Wood, Fiberglass, Composite||$950 – $1,700|
|Pella||Wood, Fiberglass, Vinyl||$850 – $1,600|
|Marvin||Wood, Fiberglass||$925 – $1,800|
|Milgard||Vinyl, Fiberglass, Aluminum||$450 – $1,200|
|Simonton||Vinyl||$395 – $900|
Note: These are average costs and can vary depending on factors such as window size, installation requirements, and regional pricing differences. Plus, the cost of everything seems to be going up rapidly these days. So don’t be surprised if the quote you get for installation is a good bit higher than what’s shown here.
Proper installation is crucial to ensuring the performance and longevity of your replacement windows. It’s essential to hire a reputable window installation company with experience and expertise in installing the specific brand and type of windows you’ve chosen. Be sure to research and compare local installation companies, read reviews, and ask for references before making your decision.
Warranty on Your New Windows
A strong warranty is an important factor to consider when selecting the best replacement windows for your home. Most window manufacturers offer warranties that cover defects in materials and workmanship, as well as specific components such as glass and hardware. Be sure to review and compare the warranty terms and conditions of different window brands before making your choice.
Top Window Recommendations by Budget
Are you ready to breathe new life into your home with stunning, energy-efficient replacement windows that’ll make your neighbors green with envy? Fear not, budget-conscious homeowner! We’ve got the perfect solution for every wallet size, so you can enjoy a transformative upgrade without breaking the bank. Let’s dive into the world of replacement windows and uncover the hidden gems that cater to all budgets, making your home the envy of the block.
Quality Windows on a Low Budget
If you’re working with a tight budget, you can still find quality windows that offer solid performance and energy efficiency. Here are two low-budget recommendations:
- JELD-WEN V-2500 Series: JELD-WEN’s V-2500 series offers an affordable vinyl window option that doesn’t compromise on quality. These windows are energy-efficient, durable, and low-maintenance. Price range: $350 – $700 per window with installation costs.
- Ply Gem East Pro Series / West Pro Series 200: The Ply Gem Pro Series is another cost-effective vinyl window option that delivers good energy efficiency and a variety of style options. Price range: $450 – $1140 per window with installation costs.
Best Mid-Range Replacement Windows
For homeowners seeking a balance between cost and quality, mid-range replacement windows offer an excellent solution. Here are two mid-range recommendations:
- Andersen 100 Series: Andersen’s 100 series windows are made from Fibrex, a composite material that combines the strength of wood with the low-maintenance features of vinyl. These windows are energy-efficient and available in various styles. Price range: $750 – $1800 per window total with installation.
- Pella 250 Series: The Pella 250 series offers energy-efficient vinyl windows that are stronger and more durable than typical vinyl options. With various style choices and a limited lifetime warranty, these windows are an excellent mid-range choice. Price range: $420 – $1500 per window with installation.
Best Value Replacement Windows
Homeowners seeking the best value for their money should consider these high-quality, cost-effective options:
- Simonton 5500 Series: Simonton’s 5500 series (formerly “Reflection 5500”) windows are made of premium vinyl and offer excellent energy efficiency, durability, and a wide range of styles and colors. (Pro tip: Simonton is a Ply Gem brand.) Price range: $470 – $1500 per window including installation.
- Marvin Elevate Series: The Marvin Elevate series combines the beauty of wood interiors with the low-maintenance and durability of fiberglass exteriors. These windows offer exceptional energy efficiency and a variety of customization options. Price range: $790 – $2,650 per window with installation.
Best Replacement Windows Money Can Buy
If budget is not a concern, consider investing in top-of-the-line replacement windows for the ultimate in performance, energy efficiency, and aesthetics. Here are two luxury recommendations:
- Andersen Architectural Collection A-Series: Andersen’s E-Series windows are part of their Architectural Collection, offering high-quality wood windows with endless customization options, including a wide range of wood species, finishes, and hardware choices. Price range: $2,100 – $4,000 per window, installed.
- Pella Reserve Contemporary:The Pella Reserve Contemporary windows are a top-tier option known for their exceptional craftsmanship, attention to detail, and high-quality aluminum-clad wood construction. With a variety of styles, finishes, and hardware options, these windows offer top-tier beauty and performance. Price range: $1,600 – $3,950 per window including installation costs.
In conclusion, there are replacement window options available for every budget, and it’s essential to carefully consider the balance between cost, quality, and performance. From affordable vinyl windows to luxurious wood options, homeowners can find the perfect fit for their home and budget. Remember to consider factors such as energy efficiency, durability, and maintenance requirements when selecting the ideal replacement windows for your home.
Top 12 Best Replacement Window Brands
There are many different brands that make windows. Like any product, replacement window cost varies, and not all windows are made equally. Here are our top 12 favorite window brands.
Andersen is one of the top marketers and manufacturers of windows. They sell replacement and new construction lines in casement and double-hung styles. Andersen Windows come in clad, wood, vinyl, composite construction argon, or gas-filled glass for high efficiency and low emissivity (low-E).
These windows are known for being made out of high-quality materials while still being affordable. Andersen offers tiers starting at 100 series and going up to 400 series for their stunning Architectural series.
Advantages of Andersen Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Andersen windows are designed with energy efficiency in mind, offering a range of features such as Low-E glass, insulated frames, and weatherstripping to help reduce energy consumption and lower utility bills.
- Durability: Andersen windows are known for their durability, thanks to high-quality materials such as Fibrex (a composite material that is two times stronger than vinyl) and advanced manufacturing techniques that ensure long-lasting performance.
- Design Flexibility: With a wide range of styles, colors, and hardware options, Andersen windows offer design flexibility that can complement any architectural style or personal preference.
- Low Maintenance: Andersen windows require minimal maintenance thanks to features like a durable finish that resists fading and peeling, and the ease of cleaning that comes with features like removable grilles.
- Warranty: Andersen offers a comprehensive warranty on their windows that covers parts and labor, so homeowners can enjoy peace of mind knowing that they are protected against any defects or issues that may arise.
Andersen Windows FAQs
Does Andersen Windows Have a Lifetime Warranty?
Andersen offers an exclusive Owner-to-Owner limited warranty. While other warranties end when a house gets sold, Andersen covers 20 years for glass, and 10 years for non-glass parts. This coverage transfers from one owner to the next.
Is Renewal by Andersen a ripoff?
Renewal by Andersen is a reputable window company known for its high-quality products and services. While their windows can be more expensive than some other brands, many customers find the quality and durability of Renewal by Andersen windows to be worth the investment. It’s essential to research and compare multiple window companies and products to determine the best fit for your needs and budget.
Who is Andersen Windows biggest competitor?
Andersen Windows’ biggest competitors include other well-known window manufacturers like Pella, Marvin, and Milgard. These companies offer a range of window products and styles, making them popular choices for homeowners seeking high-quality replacement windows.
Is Pella the same as Andersen?
Pella and Andersen are two separate window manufacturing companies. Both companies are known for producing high-quality windows and offer a variety of products, materials, and styles. While there are similarities between the two brands, they each have their unique offerings and advantages.
Compare Pella and Andersen
Both Pella and Andersen are reputable window manufacturers known for their quality products. Pella offers a wider range of materials, including wood, fiberglass, and vinyl, while Andersen focuses on wood, composite, and vinyl. In terms of energy efficiency, both companies offer double and triple-pane options with low-E coatings. Pricing can vary depending on the specific product line and features, so it’s essential to compare quotes and product offerings from both companies to determine the best fit for your needs.
Are Andersen Windows Better Than Pella Windows?
Andersen and Pella (which we’ll get into next) windows are often compared to each other. Both manufacturers make quality windows, but Andersen tends to be a little more expensive than Pella. Pella offers more choices for window material. Both brands are qualified by Energy Star.
Are Andersen windows at Home Depot lower quality?
Andersen windows sold at Home Depot are the same quality as those sold through other retailers and dealers. Home Depot offers a range of Andersen product lines, including the 100 Series, 400 Series, and A-Series, allowing homeowners to choose the best option for their needs and budget.
What is the difference between Andersen and Renewal by Andersen?
Andersen is a window manufacturer that offers a range of window products, while Renewal by Andersen is a subsidiary of Andersen Corporation that focuses on window replacement services. Renewal by Andersen offers custom-made windows designed specifically for your home and handles the entire replacement process, from consultation to installation. The main difference between the two is the level of service and customization provided by Renewal by Andersen.
Pella is another top marketer and manufacturer, making windows in double-hung and casement styles. These window lines come in clad, wood, vinyl, aluminum construction, argon filled and low-E. Pella offers stock sizes as well as custom and special orders. Hands down, Pella window costs are well worth the investment.
These windows by Pella are known for being well built and pleasing aesthetically. Their wood line is their most well-known, and has a highly detailed customized Architect series, Designer series, and the simple yet durable 450 series.
These windows also come in durable vinyl of either 250, 350, or Encompass series. There is also a fiberglass window and the very durable Impervia series. You can get these windows in double or triple-pane, and all are very energy efficient.
Advantages of Pella Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Pella Windows are designed to improve energy efficiency, which can help reduce energy costs and save money on utility bills. The windows are equipped with insulating glass and frames that are designed to minimize heat transfer.
- Enhanced Security: Pella Windows feature robust locking systems and durable materials to provide enhanced security to your home. The windows are tested and certified to meet or exceed industry standards for forced entry resistance.
- Noise Reduction: Pella Windows can help reduce outdoor noise, which can be beneficial for homes that are located near busy streets, airports, or other noisy environments. The windows are designed to absorb sound and minimize sound transmission.
- Customizable Design: Pella Windows are available in a wide variety of colors, finishes, and styles, which makes it easy to find a window that complements the style of your home. The windows can also be customized to fit specific window openings.
- Low Maintenance: Pella Windows are built with high-quality materials that require minimal maintenance. The windows are designed to resist warping, rotting, and corrosion, which can help extend the lifespan of the window and reduce maintenance costs.
These windows come with an upgraded tackle and block balance feature. This makes the windows more durable and easier to operate. These windows come in a wide range of choices, including stained glass and exterior colors.
Preservation Windows come standard with BetterView screens, allowing more light to come through compared to average window screens.
The best way to describe Preservation windows is that it’s an upgraded version of traditional styling. It features elegant, pristine designs with modern technology and construction for lasting results at a reasonable price point so you can enjoy enhancement without breaking your budget.
Advantages of Preservation Windows
- Improved Energy Efficiency: Preservation windows are designed to offer excellent insulation and energy efficiency. They feature advanced technology that helps prevent heat loss during the winter and heat gain during the summer, which can reduce your energy bills and save you money in the long run.
- Increased Comfort: The insulation provided by preservation windows also helps to eliminate drafts and cold spots in your home. This can make your living space more comfortable and reduce the need for supplemental heating or cooling systems.
- Enhanced Security: Preservation windows are designed with strong and durable materials that offer enhanced security and protection against intruders. They can help to deter break-ins and provide peace of mind for you and your family.
- Noise Reduction: Preservation windows can significantly reduce external noise levels, making your home a quieter and more peaceful environment. This can be particularly beneficial if you live in a noisy urban area or near a busy road.
- Improved Aesthetics: Preservation windows come in a range of attractive styles and finishes that can enhance the overall appearance of your home. They can add value to your property and give your home a fresh, updated look.
These windows are identified by their assortment of affordable replacement vinyl windows. They offer four different window lines, with a range of functions and styles you can choose from. Milgard also has a Quiet Line that’s designed to have impressive soundproofing ideal for locations that are noisy.
Milgard aluminum windows are known for their simple modern minimal style of thin frames. The company also offers a more upscale wood-clad fiberglass design. This style is built to withstand heavy weather while still maintaining a traditional wooden look.
These windows come in four main tiers of price and quality for replacement windows. From highest to lowest prices they make Montecito vinyl windows, Ultra Fiberglass windows, Essence wood windows, and Tuscany vinyl windows.
Advantages of Milgard Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Milgard windows are designed with advanced energy-saving features such as Low-E glass, argon gas insulation, and weather stripping to help reduce heating and cooling costs and improve overall energy efficiency.
- Customization Options: Milgard offers a wide range of window styles, materials, and colors to fit any home design and style. They also offer customizable window options to meet specific preferences and requirements.
- Durability: Milgard windows are built with high-quality materials, such as vinyl, fiberglass, and aluminum, that are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, resist rot, and last for many years.
- Security: Milgard windows are equipped with advanced locking mechanisms that provide enhanced security and protection against intruders, ensuring the safety of your home and family.
- Warranty: Milgard offers a lifetime warranty on their windows, which covers defects in materials and workmanship, ensuring that your investment is protected and providing peace of mind.
Thompson Creek Windows
8100 Penn Randall Place
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
If you’ve ever owned windows by Thompson Creek you know this is absolutely one of the best home window products in America. Thompson Creek has earned over 20,000 5 star reviews.
Thompson Creek sells a wide variety of quality replacement windows such as:
- Double Hung
- Casement Windows
- Picture Windows
The company has been rated the best window seller for more than 40 years. Studies have shown that Thompson Creek windows are corrosion-proof, resistant to fading, and require little to no maintenance.
Thompson Creek® Window Company is a company that has been in operation for over 30 years. They have an excellent reputation throughout the Mid-Atlantic region, as they provide top-quality products and services from design to installation all the way through service delivery.
Thompson Creek’s product owners are always complimentary of the company’s products, especially how they look and operate. Homeowners appreciate that Thompson Creeksmooth operations without compromising on quality or comfort; it’s a win-win renovation.
Advantages of Thompson Creek® Windows
- Energy efficiency: Thompson Creek® Windows are engineered to provide high energy efficiency, reducing energy costs and keeping homes comfortable throughout the year.
- Durability: These windows are made with high-quality materials and built to last, with strong frames and weather-resistant coatings that protect against wear and tear.
- Customizability: Thompson Creek® offers a wide range of window styles and colors, allowing homeowners to choose a design that fits their home’s aesthetic and meets their specific needs.
- Professional installation: The company provides professional installation services to ensure the windows are properly installed, reducing the risk of leaks and drafts.
- Warranty: Thompson Creek® offers a transferable limited lifetime warranty, providing homeowners with peace of mind and protecting their investment in their home.
These vinyl windows come in many replacements as well as new-construction lines that are sold in double-hung and casement styles, as well as argon-filled and low-emissivity glass.
These windows come in stock sizes, as well as special and custom orders. You can buy Simonton at Home Depot or through various dealers.
Simonton is a leading window manufacturer. If you are looking for vinyl windows specifically, you’ll want to look into this brand.
Simonton Windows offers various styles and glass types. This includes glass that treats against infrared and UV lights so you keep unwanted heat out of your home and help regulate the temperature of your space.
Advantages of Simonton Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Simonton windows are known for their high energy efficiency, which can help reduce your heating and cooling costs by keeping your home at a more consistent temperature throughout the year. This can also help reduce your carbon footprint, as your home will require less energy to maintain a comfortable temperature.
- Low Maintenance: Simonton windows are made with durable materials that require little maintenance. They are designed to resist fading, cracking, and warping over time, so you won’t need to spend a lot of time or money on upkeep.
- Customizable Options: Simonton offers a wide range of customization options to help you create the perfect windows for your home. From different colors and finishes to various hardware and grille styles, you can personalize your windows to fit your unique style and taste.
- Improved Comfort: Simonton windows are designed to provide a more comfortable living environment by reducing outside noise and drafts. This can help you enjoy a quieter and more comfortable home, no matter what the weather is like outside.
- Increased Home Value: Installing Simonton windows can help increase the overall value of your home, making it a wise investment for homeowners. Their high-quality construction and energy-efficient features can make your home more appealing to potential buyers, should you decide to sell in the future.
3773 State Road
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
These vinyl windows come in several new construction and replacement lines. Their styles include casement, double-hung, and bay windows. These windows are custom made to fit in an existing window opening.
Alside windows are mostly sold in the mid-west and eastern parts of the country, usually at Lowes as well as independent home centers.
Advantages of Alside Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Alside Windows are designed to provide maximum energy efficiency, keeping your home comfortable and reducing your energy bills.
- Durability: These windows are made with high-quality materials such as vinyl, which makes them strong, durable and resistant to weather, rotting, warping, and insect damage.
- Low Maintenance: Alside windows require minimal maintenance due to their high-quality materials and superior design. They do not require painting or scraping, and are easy to clean.
- Aesthetics: These windows come in a wide range of styles, colors, and finishes, allowing you to choose the design that complements your home’s style, architecture, and personality.
- Noise Reduction: Alside Windows are designed to reduce outside noise, providing a quieter, more peaceful home environment. This can be especially beneficial if you live near a busy street or highway.
Atrium Windows makes vinyl windows in new construction as well as several replacement lines. The styles they make include sliding, double-hung, and casement windows.
This brand has a large selection of custom-built vinyl windows in various colors, styles, and different glasses. These windows also come in argon-filled, low-emissivity, and triple-pane glass. You can buy these windows at Lowes’ Reibabilt service as well as various independent home centers.
North America’s leading manufacturer of windows and doors strives to provide the best products available. They are committed, as they have been since 1946 when Atrium was founded by two window salesman who wanted better quality standards in their workmanship than what was available at competing companies back then with tens-of millions already produced throughout North American schools, houses, and construction sites businesses hospitals healthcare facilities hotels restaurants, etc., under one passion: providing customers high-level solutions tailored specifically towards meeting individual needs no matter how big or small those may be – which means we will continue being driven forward.
Advantages of Atrium Windows
- Natural light: Atrium windows allow for a significant amount of natural light to enter a space, which can help reduce the need for artificial lighting and create a brighter, more welcoming environment.
- Energy efficiency: Atrium windows can also help improve energy efficiency by allowing sunlight to naturally heat a space, reducing the need for heating during colder months.
- Increased ventilation: With their large size, atrium windows can provide increased ventilation, allowing for better air circulation and fresher indoor air quality.
- Aesthetic appeal: Atrium windows can be a visually striking feature of a building, adding an element of architectural interest and potentially increasing the property’s value.
- Improved views: Because atrium windows often span from floor to ceiling, they can offer unobstructed views of the outdoors, bringing the beauty of nature inside and creating a sense of openness and spaciousness.
Marvin is another leading window marketer and manufacturer. These windows come in new construction and multiple replacement lines. These windows come in casement and double-hung styles.
These windows come in clad, wood, composite construction, as well as argon-filled, and low-emissivity. Marvin also markets a line of stock sizes, as well as custom and special order options. These windows are sold through independent home centers and dealers and tend to be premium priced.
Since they opened in 1912 as a family-owned and -operated business, they’ve looked for ways to help people live better. Marvin Windows continues to evolve by raising the bar, building quality, beauty, and simplicity into people’s everyday lives.
For more than 100 years, the people of Marvin Windows have been committed to making life better for all. They do this by raising standards in everything they make and sell; creating quality products with beauty & simplicity built into them.
Advantages of Marvin Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Marvin Windows are designed to be highly energy efficient, with features such as Low-E glass coatings, argon gas insulation, and insulated frames that can help reduce your energy bills.
- Durability: Marvin Windows are built to last, with high-quality materials such as extruded aluminum cladding, durable hardware, and advanced weatherstripping that can withstand harsh weather conditions and resist wear and tear.
- Customizability: Marvin Windows offer a wide range of customization options, from choosing the type of wood or finish for the frames to selecting different styles, sizes, and shapes. This allows homeowners to create windows that match their specific aesthetic preferences and functional needs.
- Noise Reduction: Marvin Windows are designed to minimize outdoor noise, making your home a quieter and more peaceful place to live. This is especially important for homes located in noisy urban areas or near busy roads.
- Increased Home Value: Installing high-quality Marvin Windows can increase the value of your home, as they are highly sought after by homebuyers who appreciate their energy efficiency, durability, and aesthetic appeal.
This is another top marketer and manufacturer of windows that come in new construction as well as multiple replacements. These windows come in casement, double-hung, clad, wood, aluminum construction, vinyl, low-E, and gas-filled. You can find Jeld-Wen windows through independent home dealers and centers.
JELD-WEN is an American-based company with its headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina. The company operates more than 120 manufacturing facilities in 19 countries.
JELD-WEN is a global leader in the window and door industry. They offer an extensive product line that includes both interior doors as well exterior ones, with sales across multiple distribution channels including retail home centers or wholesale distributors to building products dealerships worldwide.
JELD-WEN is a leading manufacturer of doors and windows, with operations in 19 countries. The company was founded 60 years ago by James Elkins who had his eye on the American dream–to own your home free from rent or mortgage payments while also being able to work outdoors every day if you wanted too. In addition to producing quality products for North America’s homes; They offer an extensive range including interior & exterior wood style options as well aluminum frames which can be found throughout Australia’s buildings (including hospitals).
Advantages of JELD-WEN Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Jeld-Wen windows are designed to provide excellent energy efficiency, which can result in reduced energy bills and increased home comfort. The windows use advanced glass technology and insulation systems to reduce energy transfer and maintain a consistent indoor temperature.
- Durability: Jeld-Wen windows are made with high-quality materials, such as vinyl, wood, and aluminum, that are resistant to wear and tear. The windows are also designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, such as strong winds and heavy rain.
- Low Maintenance: Jeld-Wen windows are designed with low maintenance in mind, which means that they require very little upkeep over time. The windows are made with materials that do not rust, rot, or fade, and they are easy to clean and maintain.
- Design Options: Jeld-Wen windows are available in a wide range of styles, colors, and finishes, which makes it easy to find windows that match the aesthetic of your home. The company offers both traditional and modern window designs, so there is something for every taste.
- Warranty: Jeld-Wen offers a comprehensive warranty on its windows, which provides peace of mind to homeowners. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, and it is transferable if you sell your home.
Weather Shield Windows
Weather Shield windows come in wood-clad in new construction and multiple replacements. These windows come in casement and double-hung styles as well as low-E and gas-filled. You can get these windows in stock sizes or with custom and special-order options through window dealers.
Weather Shield is constantly working to find new ways of improving our products and processes. That’s why they have a dedicated Research & Development team, the largest onsite test lab in the industry – not afraid to be innovative. The goal at Weather Shield isn’t just making something that already exists better; it’s creating solutions for problems you didn’t even know existed.
Advantages of Weather Shield Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Weather Shield Windows are designed to be highly energy-efficient, helping to reduce heating and cooling costs. Their advanced glass technology and weatherstripping help to prevent air infiltration and minimize heat loss or gain, resulting in significant energy savings.
- Durability: These windows are built to last, with durable materials such as aluminum, fiberglass, and wood. They are also resistant to weather, moisture, and other environmental factors, which makes them ideal for use in harsh climates.
- Design Options: Weather Shield Windows come in a wide variety of styles, shapes, and colors, allowing you to choose the perfect windows to complement the style of your home. You can also customize the windows to meet your specific needs, such as adding additional insulation or soundproofing.
- Low Maintenance: These windows require minimal maintenance, as they are built to withstand the elements and resist damage from UV rays, moisture, and pests. They are also easy to clean, thanks to their smooth surfaces and high-quality finishes.
- Increased Home Value: Installing Weather Shield Windows can increase the value of your home, as they are a high-quality, energy-efficient, and attractive feature that homebuyers often seek out. This can make it easier to sell your home in the future, or even help you get a higher price for it.
At Weather Shield, they believe in the power of quality. In fact – their products are backed by a warranty against defects for 20 years. If you buy from them and something goes wrong, send it back to them at no cost and all your money will be refunded. They take pride not just in what makes each piece unique but also in ensuring that everything meets high standards through rigorous testing before leaving any workshop or storeroom.
They never stop searching for ways to improve both their products and our processes. The goal of discovering new and innovative solutions has always been part of their DNA. That’s why we have our own dedicated Research and Development Center and the largest onsite test lab in the industry. Not a day goes by when they aren’t working on building a better product.
12121 Champion Way
Cincinnati, OH 45241
For homeowners looking for custom-built replacement windows, Champion Windows is one of our highest-recommended solutions.
Founded in Cincinnati, OH, the company has been in business for more than 65 years and now operates a 502,000-square-foot location.
Champion Window’s Energy Star® certified windows are the best you can get for your home. They last longer, and save money, and energy costs each month thanks to their Comfort 365 Window® Glass which includes low-E glass technology with superior insulation in order to help keep out cold air during winter months so you don’t have frost on your window.
Advantages of Champion Windows
- Energy Efficiency: Champion Windows are designed with energy efficiency in mind, which can help lower your energy bills and reduce your carbon footprint. They use materials like Low-E glass, argon gas, and insulated frames to ensure maximum energy savings.
- Customization: Champion Windows offers a wide range of customizable options to meet your specific needs and preferences. They come in a variety of styles, colors, and finishes, allowing you to create a look that matches your home’s aesthetic.
- Durability: Champion Windows are built to last, with high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship. They are engineered to withstand harsh weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, high winds, and heavy rain.
- Warranty: Champion Windows offers a limited lifetime warranty on all of their products, giving you peace of mind that your investment is protected. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, as well as glass breakage.
- Professional Installation: Champion Windows employs trained and certified professionals to install their products, ensuring that they are installed correctly and efficiently. They also offer a clean-up service after the installation is complete, leaving your home as clean as when they arrived.
Top 8 Replacement Windows by Model and Series
Now that we’ve covered the best window companies by brand, here is a list of the best windows. In this review, we examined over 50 great windows, and below are the top eight, in our opinion.
REHAU Aspekt+ 1800 | Innovative Outswing Casement Window
REHAU introduces its groundbreaking Aspekt+ 1800, an innovative outswing casement window that offers outstanding thermal, acoustic, and structural performance. Designed to meet Passive House requirements, the Aspekt+ 1800 provides a modern design aesthetic in a wide range of colors, allowing fabricators to create units for up to 30 percent larger openings with long-lasting stability and torsional rigidity.
The REHAU Aspekt+ 1800 features a strength-enhancing sash made from the company’s innovative RAU-FIPRO glass-fiber reinforced PVC material. This advanced material, combined with REHAU’s co-extruded triple-seal technology, limits thermal conduction and ensures a tight frame-to-sash seal with a significantly reduced U-value.
Profiles can also be painted or laminated with solid color or wood-grain foils, and the Aspekt designs accommodate various screen solutions. Aspekt+ 1800 allows for customized shapes, including round, half-round, triangular, rake-top, and ellipsoidal windows, with more than 1,500 design options available.
The REHAU Aspekt+ 1800’s key features include:
- Innovative Design: The Aspekt+ 1800 window is a cutting-edge solution that delivers Passive House U-values, excellent sound attenuation, high structural ratings, and large sizes, meeting the increasing demands of the market.
- Energy Efficiency: With its glass-fiber reinforced PVC material and co-extruded triple-seal technology, the Aspekt+ 1800 window provides exceptional energy efficiency, helping to reduce energy costs and improve your home’s comfort.
- Customizability: The Aspekt+ 1800 series offers extensive design options, allowing you to choose from over 1,500 shapes, sizes, and colors to create the perfect window solution for your home.
Andersen 400 Series Windows
What makes Andersen 400 series so special is the various options you have for customizing it. You can choose different exterior colors, hardware selections, and finishes, grille patterns, sizes…the list goes on! If you are searching for a window that needs little to no work and has great functionality, these windows will be the perfect fit. The low-maintenance exterior won’t need painting ever.
The Andersen 400 Series Windows have several advantages, but here are two of them:
- Energy Efficiency: The Andersen 400 Series Windows are designed to be energy efficient, with a low-E4 glass that reduces the amount of heat that enters or leaves your home. This glass coating can also block up to 84% of harmful UV rays that can cause furniture and carpet to fade over time. The windows are also ENERGY STAR certified, meaning they meet the stringent energy efficiency standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Durability: The Andersen 400 Series Windows are made with a strong and durable Fibrex material, which combines the strength and stability of wood with the low maintenance features of vinyl. This material does not crack, rot, warp or corrode over time, providing long-lasting protection for your home. Andersen also offers a 20-year limited warranty on glass and a 10-year limited warranty on other components, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.
Pella® Reserve™ – Traditional
The Pella Reserve window was the winner of the 2019 Most Innovative Window from Window and Door magazine. This traditional double-hung window with an optional Integrated Rolscreen® retractable screen preserves your view while keeping bugs outside (and away from you).
The Pella® Reserve™ – Traditional window is a high-quality, premium window product that offers several advantages over other window types. Here are two advantages of the Pella® Reserve™ – Traditional window:
- Energy efficiency: The Pella® Reserve™ – Traditional window is designed with advanced energy-saving features that can help reduce energy bills and make a home more comfortable. This window features double-pane glass with low-E coating that helps to reflect heat and insulate against the cold. Additionally, the window frames are made of a high-quality wood that provides excellent thermal performance and reduces energy transfer.
- Enhanced durability: The Pella® Reserve™ – Traditional window is built to last, thanks to its exceptional craftsmanship and use of premium materials. This window features a durable wood frame that is designed to resist warping, rotting, and moisture damage. Additionally, the window is treated with a durable finish that helps to protect against fading and discoloration, ensuring that the window will look beautiful for many years to come.
Tuscany® V400 Series | Double Hung Window
Milgard offers an extremely durable double-hung window in its Tuscany® V400 Series. Their top of the line Tuscany Series offers premium vinyl windows that are designed with you in mind. With an elegant design and endless possibilities, these windows will seamlessly integrate into your home.
Milgard Signature Vinyl is a highly durable, acrylic-modified vinyl that was developed for superior results. It has been specially crafted to withstand the harshest of conditions and produce top-quality finishes with minimal maintenance. This unique formula provides homeowners an outstanding living environment without sacrificing performance or design aesthetics as it features smooth surfaces and vibrant colors all at incredibly affordable prices.
- High Performance: The Tuscany V400 Series is designed for high performance and efficiency, which can help reduce energy costs and increase productivity.
- Customizable Options: This series offers a range of customizable options, including various colors, sizes, and configurations, which can meet the specific needs of different users.
Thompson Creek Sound Shield™
For those looking for sound-reducing windows, we find the best option in the Thompson Creek Sound Shield™ replacement window.
The Thompson Creek Sound Shield™ windows have several advantages, but here are two of them:
- Sound Reduction: One of the primary advantages of the Thompson Creek Sound Shield™ windows is their exceptional ability to reduce sound transmission. These windows are specifically designed to reduce external noise levels and provide a quieter and more peaceful indoor environment. This can be particularly beneficial if you live near a busy road, airport, or other high-noise area.
- Energy Efficiency: The Thompson Creek Sound Shield™ windows are also designed to be energy-efficient. They are made with high-quality materials and advanced construction techniques that help to reduce heat loss during the winter and keep your home cooler during the summer. This can help to lower your energy bills and improve the overall comfort of your home.
In a region with a unique climate, Thompson Creek is constantly innovating in order to help homeowners experience more comfort at home. They have engineered Sound Shield noise-dampening glass that will bring all the same benefits of regular windows while also letting you enjoy peace and quiet outside your window.
Sound Shield™ is a proprietary sound dampening glass package available only in premium window styles.
Thompson Creek Sound Shield™ windows look like normal glass, but they have a different sound. The frame holding your Sound Shield™ will still provide the same benefits as all our premium vinyl: energy efficiency, security, and quality.
Alside – Sheffield® Fusion-Welded Vinyl Window
Every detail in Sheffield® Fusion-Welded vinyl window contributes to its superior energy efficiency performance. Superbly crafted, they are an example of excellence and innovation that goes back over a century. The multi-chamber design of the doors helps trap dead air to produce an effective barrier, while its extra thick frame and sashes provide superior structural strength. This creates a permanent barrier against energy losses from wind infiltration, adding up to greater savings in your utility bills every month.
The Alside – Sheffield® Fusion-Welded Vinyl Window has several advantages, but here are two:
- Energy Efficiency: The Sheffield® Fusion-Welded Vinyl Window is designed to be highly energy-efficient, thanks to its multi-chambered frame and sash construction, as well as its advanced glass options. This helps to reduce energy costs and improve the comfort of your home by keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Durability: The Sheffield® Fusion-Welded Vinyl Window is built to last, with a fusion-welded frame and sash that creates a strong, seamless, and low-maintenance barrier against the elements. The vinyl material is also resistant to rotting, peeling, fading, and warping, so you can enjoy your windows for years to come without worrying about constant repairs or replacements.
Marvin Elevate® Collection
Marvin Elevate® windows are the perfect balance of remarkable design and superior strength, bringing harmony to your style needs. Proprietary fiberglass exteriors stand up against all elements while outperforming other composites like vinyl roll-form aluminum or even composite wood panels for long-lasting durability in tough conditions!
The warm interior adds timeless beauty that will never go out of fashion alongside its resilient exterior making this product an investment worth making time after time again. The warm interior adds timeless beauty that will never go out of fashion alongside its resilient exterior making this product an investment worth making time after time.
The Marvin Elevate® Collection is a line of high-performance windows and doors designed to offer a range of benefits over traditional products. Two advantages of the Marvin Elevate® Collection are:
- Energy Efficiency: The Marvin Elevate® Collection is designed to be highly energy efficient, thanks to a variety of features including triple-paned glass, low-E coatings, and argon gas insulation. These features help to keep homes comfortable throughout the year while reducing energy bills.
- Durability: The Marvin Elevate® Collection is also known for its exceptional durability, thanks to its use of advanced materials like fiberglass and proprietary cladding that resists the elements. These windows and doors are built to last, requiring minimal maintenance and offering excellent long-term value.
Milgard Style Line Series V250
You can have your home’s windows and functionality in one with the Mildards Style Line Series. It features a slim frame that lets natural light fill up any room, while not compromising on quality as other options do; plus it doesn’t need painting.
Give your home a refreshing, new look with our selection of premium exterior vinyl frame colors. White and tan are just two options available to match any style – we have plenty more. From bronze all the way down to silver—you can find what you need for this season at Pella Window & Door Company’s showroom today. Whether you have a patio or balcony, these windows are perfect for your outdoor space. They open up vertically so they don’t protrude into the exterior of your home which is great when it comes to privacy because no one will be able to see inside.
The Milgard Style Line Series V250 windows have several advantages, but here are two of them:
- Energy efficiency: Milgard Style Line Series V250 windows are designed with energy efficiency in mind. They feature dual-pane glass with Low-E coating that helps reduce energy consumption by reflecting radiant heat and keeping indoor temperatures consistent. Additionally, these windows have an Argon gas-filled insulating layer that provides an extra layer of thermal protection.
- Aesthetics: Milgard Style Line Series V250 windows have a sleek and modern design that fits seamlessly with a variety of architectural styles. They come in a wide range of colors and finishes, allowing homeowners to choose the perfect match for their home’s exterior and interior design. Moreover, these windows have a narrow frame profile that maximizes the glass area, giving homeowners a clear and unobstructed view of the outdoors.
Choosing the best replacement windows for your home is a significant investment that requires careful consideration of various factors, including window brands, materials, styles, energy efficiency, cost, installation, and warranty. By taking the time to research and compare your options, you can find the perfect windows that not only enhance the appearance of your home but also provide lasting value, comfort, and energy savings.
Find A Replacement Window Company Near Me
If you’re getting new windows for your home, you want to buy the windows from a reputable company that will also install them for you.
Now that you know what to look for when shopping for the best replacement windows, we’re here to help.
Find a window company near you today and request quotes to compare today!
Frequently Asked Questions About Replacement Windows
What are the most energy-efficient replacement windows?
Windows with a low U-factor, Low-E glass, and argon gas filling typically offer the best energy efficiency.
How long do replacement windows last?
The lifespan of a replacement window depends on the material and maintenance, but most can last between 15 and 30 years.
Is it worth it to replace windows for energy savings?
Yes, replacing old, drafty windows with energy-efficient models can significantly reduce your heating and cooling costs.
Can I replace windows myself, or should I hire a professional?
While it’s possible to replace windows yourself, hiring a professional ensures proper installation and sealing, which is crucial for energy efficiency and longevity.
Do I need a permit to replace windows in my home?
Permit requirements vary by location, so check with your local building department before starting a window replacement project.
What is the best time of year to replace windows?
Spring and fall are typically the best times to replace windows, as temperatures are more moderate and installers are less busy.
How do I choose the right window style for my home?
Consider your home’s architecture, the function of the room, and your personal preferences when choosing a window style.
How do I clean and maintain my replacement windows?
Regular cleaning with mild soap and water, along with occasional lubrication of moving parts, will help keep your windows in good condition.
Can I paint or stain my replacement windows?
Wood and fiberglass windows can be painted or stained, while vinyl and aluminum windows typically cannot.
What is the difference between new construction and replacement windows?
New construction windows are designed for installation in new homes or additions, while replacement windows are designed to fit into existing window openings.
What are the best rated window companies?
Some of the best-rated window companies include Andersen, Pella, Milgard, Marvin, and Alside. However, it’s essential to research local companies and read customer reviews to find the best fit for your needs.
What are the best windows for home renovation?
The best windows for home renovation depend on your home’s architectural style, climate, and personal preferences. Consider energy-efficient options like double or triple-pane windows, as well as reputable brands such as Andersen, Pella, and Milgard.
What are the worst window brands?
It’s difficult to pinpoint specific “worst” window brands, as the quality of windows can vary greatly even within a single brand. To avoid poorly made windows, research and compare multiple companies and products, read customer reviews, and look for industry certifications.
What are the best replacement window brands?
Some of the best replacement window brands include Andersen, Pella, Milgard, Marvin, and Alside. These brands are known for their quality, energy efficiency, and durability.
Which replacement windows last the longest?
High-quality fiberglass, wood-clad, or composite windows tend to last the longest, with a lifespan of 20 to 40 years or more. However, the longevity of your replacement windows will also depend on factors like installation quality, maintenance, and climate.
What are the best brand windows for a home?
The best brand windows for a home will vary depending on your specific needs and preferences. Some top brands to consider include Andersen, Pella, Milgard, Marvin, and Alside. Research each brand’s offerings and customer reviews to determine the best fit for your home.
What time of year is best to replace windows?
The best time of year to replace windows is typically during the spring or fall, when temperatures are milder. This allows for easier installation and helps ensure that your home remains comfortable during the process. However, many window companies offer installation services year-round, so it’s possible to schedule a replacement during any season.
What is the best time of year to buy replacement windows?
The best time of year to buy replacement windows is typically during the off-peak season, which is generally late fall to early winter. During this time, window companies may offer discounts or promotions, and you may also experience shorter wait times for installation.
When should I use a window replacement company?
You should consider using a window replacement company when your windows are damaged, inefficient, or nearing the end of their lifespan. A professional window replacement company can help you choose the right windows for your home and ensure a proper, energy-efficient installation.
What style of window is the most energy efficient?
Casement and awning windows are typically the most energy-efficient styles, as they create a tight seal when closed. Double-hung and sliding windows can also be energy efficient, especially when they feature double or triple-pane glass and other energy-saving features like low-E coatings.
What type of windows are most cost-effective?
Vinyl windows are usually the most cost-effective option, as they offer good insulation and durability at a lower price point than wood or fiberglass windows. However, it’s important to weigh the initial cost against factors like energy efficiency, maintenance, and lifespan when determining the most cost-effective windows for your home.
What are the benefits of double-hung windows?
Double-hung windows offer several benefits, including improved ventilation, easy cleaning, and a classic appearance that complements many architectural styles. Additionally, many double-hung windows feature tilt-in sashes, which make cleaning the exterior glass from inside the home more accessible.
What are the benefits of casement windows?
Casement windows offer excellent ventilation, unobstructed views, and a tight seal when closed, making them energy efficient. They also have a modern appearance that suits a variety of home styles and are easy to operate with a crank handle.
What should I look for when choosing a window replacement company?
When choosing a window replacement company, look for one with a solid reputation, positive customer reviews, and industry certifications. Additionally, consider factors like the company’s product offerings, warranty, installation process, and overall customer service.
What are the benefits of vinyl windows?
Vinyl windows are low maintenance, energy-efficient, and cost-effective. They do not require painting or staining, and they resist warping, cracking, and rotting. Vinyl windows are available in a wide range of styles and colors, making them a versatile option for many homes.
What are the benefits of wood windows?
Wood windows offer a warm, natural appearance that can enhance the aesthetic of your home. They are also excellent insulators and can be painted or stained to match your home’s decor. However, wood windows require regular maintenance to prevent issues like rotting and warping.
What are the benefits of fiberglass windows?
Fiberglass windows are durable, energy-efficient, and low maintenance. They resist warping, rotting, and cracking, and they can be painted or stained to match your home’s style. Additionally, fiberglass windows often have a longer lifespan than other window materials, making them a cost-effective choice over time.